Compulsive Overreader

Along with borderline hypergraffia, my other literary disorder is -- I'm a compulsive overreader. I'd like to say that I'm trying to get it under control, but I'm clearly not. Check out the archives here to find what I'm reading and what I think of it. If you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Top Ten Books of 2006

With great difficulty I've managed to isolate the ten new books (i.e. not re-reads) that I enjoyed most in 2006. I can't possibly rank them in order of enjoyment so I'm listing them in the order I read them. I've linked to my earlier reviews of each book.

1. Joseph Boyden, Three Day Road
2. Ami McKay, The Birth House
3. Joan Clark, An Audience of Chairs
4. Andrea Levy, Small Island
5. Sarah Dunant, In the Company of the Courtesan
6. Camilla Gibb, Sweetness in the Belly
7. Joshilyn Jackson, Between, Georgia
8. Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy
9. Robin Hobb, Shaman's Crossing
10. Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

The stats, for anyone who cares:

10 fiction, 0 non-fiction -- not a good year for non-fiction for me!
4 Canadian, 2 British, 4 American novels
8 female, 2 male writers -- about par for the course!
3 fantasy, 5 historical fiction, 2 contemporary fiction (a bit hard to determine as I'm never sure where I should mark the cut-off to consider a book "historical" vs "contemporary")

Altogether I read about 80 books this year, which is fewer than I usually read, but only a few of them were re-reads this time, so I probably read more new books than I generally do. It's been a good reading year and I'm looking forward to discovering more great books in 2007.

1 Comments:

Blogger AtlasDave said...

Seeing you book list for 2006, I have a recommendation for 2007. "Hard to Believe" by John McDonald.

As a fellow SDA, I found that there are some parts to his theology with which I did not agree. But he does give you a very good understanding of our early Christian heritage, and just what it means to be a Christian.

You might find it eye-opening.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home