Compulsive Overreader

Along with borderline hypergraffia, my other literary disorder is -- I'm a compulsive overreader. I'd like to say that I'm trying to get it under control, but I'm clearly not. Check out the archives here to find what I'm reading and what I think of it. If you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Friday, December 29, 2006

A Time to Mend, by Angela Hunt

Like my previous selection, Sandpiper Drift, I chose A Time to Mend specifically because I was exploring the sub-genre of "inspirational women's fiction," particularly the Steeple Hill imprint. This particular novel has a typical romance-novel plot structure: two strong-willed, independent souls strike sparks of all kinds when they meet in the hospital where she's a nurse and he's a doctor. They continually rub each other the wrong way yet can't ignore the attraction between them. Each has painful secrets in their past that stand in the way of a new relationship -- and of course there's no doubt in the reader's mind that those obstacles will be overcome by the final page. Oh, and of course she's pretty and he's gorgeous. No surprises there.

However, I'd consider A Time to Mend sort of romance-novel-plus, the "plus" being a really thorough, detailed and sensitive portrayal of a young woman's battle with breast cancer. The medical aspect of the novel -- a nurse who works with cancer patients discovers that she herself has a malignant tumour -- is far more compelling than the romance, which did feel a little formulaic to me. This was an enjoyable read and if you like inspirational romance I'd definitely recommend it, but it was the cancer story that made it memorable for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home