Compulsive Overreader

Along with borderline hypergraffia, my other literary disorder is -- I'm a compulsive overreader. I'd like to say that I'm trying to get it under control, but I'm clearly not. Check out the archives here to find what I'm reading and what I think of it. If you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Birth House, by Ami McKay


I had the privilege of meeting Nova Scotia writer Ami McKay recently when we both read at a writers' festival in Halifax. This is a wonderful historical novel about Dora Rare, a midwife in rural Nova Scotia in the early years of the twentieth century, when "modern medicine" was beginning to push midwifery to the margins. Dora is a strong and memorable character, and McKay's insights into the world of midwives and of women in general during that era draw the reader right into Dora's world. And I'm sure every woman will be happy to learn there is a simply home remedy for hysteria! (little in-joke there for those who've read the book).

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Oooh, that sounds great, I'm writing it down now.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home