Compulsive Overreader

Along with borderline hypergraffia, my other literary disorder is -- I'm a compulsive overreader. I'd like to say that I'm trying to get it under control, but I'm clearly not. Check out the archives here to find what I'm reading and what I think of it. If you came here directly through blogger --if your page has no yellow frames and no pretty pic of me in the top left corner -- you may want to visit my main site at www.hypergraffiti.com, where you can read this blog and much much more.

Name:

I'm Trudy Morgan-Cole, a writer from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My books include "The Violent Friendship of Esther Johnson," "Esther: A Story of Courage," and "Deborah and Barak." I'm also a married mom of two, a teacher in an adult-ed program, and a Christian of the Seventh-day Adventist kind. I blog about writing, reading, parenting, teaching, spirituality, and shiny things that catch my eye.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Mean Boy, by Lynn Coady


Lynn Coady's Mean Boy is a novel about a university student and would-be poet who falls under the spell of one of his writing teachers, who is not only an accomplished poet but also a wildly dysfunctional alcoholic (why do those two so often seem to go hand in hand?) Larry idolizes Jim, but during the course of a year at a New Brunswick university, he learns some things about idols with feet of clay, and also about his own weaknesses. This is a very funny book in places, but also a little dark and sad. I was glad I read it, but by the time I was finished I didn't want to spend a lot more time with these characters in their world. Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home